Friday, February 10, 2012

Letter To My Someday

I’ve been waiting so long for your face.
Like a walker in the fog,
Waiting for clarity,
Stumbling.
Like the ocean for Man to look upon her
Rage and tenderness,
Her heave and swell,
And understand.

I’ve been waiting so long for your arms.
Long nights I’ve been waiting
For your arms like a favorite sweater to
Hold me in the warm familiar fresh-bread scent
Of memories and love.

I’ve been waiting so long for your kiss.
I’ve daydreamed about it,
Foolish like a schoolboy,
Idealizing with glassy eyes how
Perfect it would be;
That first of many,
Tender and subtle as a sip of chamomile tea,
True as the sunrise.

I’ve been waiting to write you poetry.
Already you’re my Muse, if such a
Word can describe you. I
Think of you when
My poems speak of love,
When my hand feels like a vacancy sign,
When things feel incomplete.

I look at the stars, and wonder what’s
Your favorite constellation,
If you’ve been serenaded by them too.

Do the stars sing for you, my Love, as they
Sing for me?
Do you dance with the wind? Will you
Kiss me in the rain?
Will you keep with me the vigil of the
Sunrise?
I’ve missed your company, my Sweet, the
April shower sprinkle of your whisper,
The wonderful sameness of your stride,
The familiar shape of your laugh.

I’ve been waiting so long for you;
So long,
And I’ll wait.
          And I’ll wait.
                    And I’ll wait,
Until you’re here, suddenly,
Delightfully,
Like the moment I finally understood,
Beyond repeated fact,
That one plus one is two.

No comments:

Post a Comment